Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Salaam Bombay


Salaam Bombay

I try so much to think of loving you,
And I fail miserably –
Like the lone child on the street side.
For I cannot see through
Descending acrid smoke of burning flesh
I can’t turn my eyes away from the child –
Its flesh ripped and shred of impact
As he sits there, over the charred remains
Of its inconsequential social connect.
I cannot see how we all are not thus orphaned,
For where I stand – what I see
Everybody has been stripped bare –
Down to the inherited, bestial flesh and blood
I try hard to look through the chaos
Of uncertain lives fleeing in anticipation
I try hard to recollect our dreams, in my mind.
But the smoke stings, it pains so bad – so deep.
This earth, a sky seems unimaginably shattered
And through all this – my dear
I silently cry out loud to you
I kneel before you my beloved.
I pray to you – pull back the reins of time
And put me two moments before
The unforgiven, unwilling child of human wrath burst.

For a moment I will see the child lisp in its mother’s lap.
For a moment I will look up and bid goodbye to you.
Come to me now – my beloved,
For I try so hard to think of loving you.
________________________________

No comments: